Global trading platform TridgeGlobal trading platform TridgeGlobal trading platform Tridge
Intelligence & Data
Sign In
Current Plan
Intelligence & Data Solution
Get started with Premium Plan of our Intelligence & Data Solution to get access to premium content and data in food and agriculture

What are the major grains produced in Ghana?

Oct 21, 2021
Edited By
Jinwoo Cheon
Oct 21, 2021
Edited By
Jinwoo Cheon
Major grains in Ghana are maize, rice, and sorghum.

1. Maize

Maize is the most important cereal crop on the domestic market in Ghana. It is one of the largest agricultural commodities in terms of production volume. It accounts for 3.3% of total agricultural production volume. Maize accounts for 55% of grain output followed by paddy rice (23%), sorghum (13%), and millet (9%). Maize is also important for poultry feed as well as a substitute for the brewing industry. Maize is cultivated under traditional production methods and rain-fed conditions. The average yield of maize (on-farm) for the year 2015 was 1.92 MT/ha but the potential yield was 5.50 MT/ha. Maize is grown throughout Ghana. However, the leading producing areas are mainly in the middle-southern part (Bono & Ahafo, Eastern and Ashanti regions) where 84% of the maize is grown, with the remaining 16% being grown in the northern regions of the country. Ghana currently does not import a single grain of maize for its consumption.


2. Rice

Rice is the second most important grain food staple in Ghana, next to maize (MOFA, 2015). Rice import accounts for 60% of Ghana’s cereal imports over the period 2005-2016. Thailand and Vietnam are dominant rice exporters to Ghana. Rice production in Ghana is undertaken in three different ecologies: lowland rainfed ecology, which includes rice planted in the receding waters of the Volta and other rivers (78% of production), upland rain-fed ecology (6%), and irrigated ecology (16%). Rain-fed rice production contributes 84%, generating average paddy yields of 1.0 -2.7 mt/ha while irrigated production produces the highest average of 4.5 mt/ha. The potential yield was 6mt/ha in the year 2015. Avnash is the largest miller of rice in Ghana. There are large rice farms like Gadco and smallholder farms. Aggregators buy rice from smallholders and sell it to the millers. One of the biggest aggregators is Lasorex Ltd.


3. Sorghum

Sorghum production is concentrated mainly in the Northern Regions of Ghana, some parts of Bono & Ahafo (mainly the transitional zone), and the Volta Region. The northern regions account for over 97% of total production. Small farmers with average land holdings not greater than 2 ha mainly cultivate sorghum. Amongst the cereal crops grown in Ghana, sorghum ranks third in terms of production volume, after maize and rice, with a share of 13% on total cereal production volume. The average yield (on-farm) of sorghum cultivation under rain-fed conditions is 1.10 MT/ha for the year 2015. The potential yield for the year 2015 was 2 MT/ha. About two-thirds of raw sorghum are milled and used to prepare food as well as local beer. Sorghum brewing is an important cottage industry in northern Ghana. Sorghum is traded mainly in the northern part of Ghana and is hardly traded internationally. 

By clicking “Accept Cookies,” I agree to provide cookies for statistical and personalized preference purposes. To learn more about our cookies, please read our Privacy Policy.