Factors determining the quality of cauliflower:
- healthy; the product which begins to rot or spoil in such a way that it is unfit for consumption is excluded,
- clean, practically free of any visible foreign matter,
- practically free from pests,
- practically free from damage caused by pests,
- free of abnormal external moisture,
- free of any foreign smell and / or taste.
The development and condition of cauliflowers must be such that they enable:- transport and handling, and reaching the destination in a satisfactory condition.
- Cauliflower origin is from Cyprus. At the beginning, cauliflower was even called Cyprus colewart. The vegetable was very popular in Ancient Greece and Rome. From that countries it was widen to the other European countries, especially to France. It became popular in 16th century.
- Cauliflower is a vegetables in the species of cabbage (Brassica). It’s weight is from 25 dag to 2 kg. Stalk is strongly shortened and cylindrical. During growth, it produces head a compact concentration of shortened, fleshy flower shoots. The head can be white, cream, green. Leaves grow from the bottom of the stem and partially cover the giant inflorescence (head). Sometimes they overwhelm it. Flowers develop on side shoots growing on the periphery of a fleshy heas, similar to other brassicas, light yellow.
- The biggest world producers are China and India. In Europe significant producers are Spain, Itlay, France and Poland. It also cultivated in USA and Maxico.
- There are more than 80 varieties of cauliflower but for production purposes dominates white cauliflower. In the Mediterranean countries, green and purple cauliflower is grown, and the orange cauliflower origin Canada.
- Cauliflower is cultivated in two methods – in the field or undercover in greenhouses. Greenhouse cultivating is more efficient, gives higher production however is more expensive.
- Cauliflower might be harvested manually or mechanically. Mechanical harvesting dominates especially on the big farms.
- Cauliflower is used for culinary purposes as a fresh vegetable. It can be eaten in the form of raw, boiled, blanched, roasted, grilled and fried. Might be added to various types of salads. Cauliflower is great for a variety of meat dishes. It is also processed to frozen cauliflowers. Preserving or marinating is very rare, mostly for own use, not for industry scale.
- Cauliflower is a very valuable vegetable due to its chemical composition, as well as taste and diet. It contains, among others: sodium, potassium, magnesium, calcium, manganese, iron, copper, zinc, phosphorus, fluorine, chlorine, iodine, carotenes, vitamins: K, B1, B2, B6, C.