What are the key factors that determine the prices of Alfalfa?
• Spinach’s freezing, curing, and drying cost.
• Volume of products in seasons between August and November in the USA and January to April in China (Lounsbury & Weil, 2018).
• The weather conditions in the production areas such as winter seasons and high humid regions (Lounsbury & Weil, 2018).
• Presence of drought and rainfall.
• Inadequate techniques of planting.
• Crop infection and other infections.
• Equipment cost and the availability of the processing techniques.
• Fluctuation in demand in the primary export destination nations and volume of supply (Lounsbury & Weil, 2018).
• Internal transportation cost and global air freight cost for spinach.
• Trade agreements and regulations.
• Increase and decrease of import and export tariff incurred by farmers.
Spinach has gained its popularity as one of the most consumed vegetables in the U.S. The vegetable was initially planted in Persia but was later introduced in Europe during the 15 century (Lounsbury & Weil, 2018). In the 19th century, this vegetable was introduced in the USA and it has become very popular among the Americans (Lounsbury & Weil, 2018). Besides, the US has become the second largest producers of spinach assuming 3 per cent of the market share (Lounsbury & Weil, 2018).
The spinach plant contains simple leaves that stem from the plant’s centre and they are approximated to be 2-30 cm in length and 1-15 cm in width (Lounsbury & Weil, 2018). The leaves do appear flat and grow in a rosette. Spinach produces yellow-green flowers that are small. They also produce small fruits that contain seeds.
The state of California is the highest producer of spinach in the U.S. it produces about 72% of all spinach produced in the country (Lounsbury & Weil, 2018). Spinach is the USA is being harvested with scissors that are used to cut the leaves from the stem. This method enables other leaves to grow and produces quality products.
Flat-leaf spinach is the most popular and common species of spinach grown in the USA. It is primarily used for domestic consumption (Lounsbury & Weil, 2018).
The reason is that it is cooked and eaten at home. Besides, it contains calcium, iron, and other essential minerals and vitamin required by humans (Lounsbury & Weil, 2018). It is also applied for medicinal purposes where it is used to prevent various infections.