Global trading platform TridgeGlobal trading platform TridgeGlobal trading platform Tridge
Intelligence & Data
Sign In
Current Plan
Intelligence & Data Solution
Get started with Premium Plan of our Intelligence & Data Solution to get access to premium content and data in food and agriculture
CO flag

Colombian Avocado Market Guide

Country Specific
Oct 25, 2021
Edited by
Roy Park
HS Code: 080440 - Fruit, edible; avocados, fresh or dried
|
FAO Code: 0572 - Avocados
Share in Export
2020
≈ 2.34%Rank 7
Share in Import
2020
≈ 0%Rank 119
Share in Production
2020
-
Export Volume
2020
156.83MUSD
1Y ≈ 64.19%
Import Volume
2020
74.85KUSD
1Y ≈ 338.06%

Market Outlook

What Is the Colombian Avocado Market Size?

Global Avocado Market Size: USD 249.3M (2020)

+162.3% YoY Growth in 2020

+105.7% CAGR during 2013-2020


Avocado Export Market Size (2020)

Mexico: USD 6.9B

Netherlands: USD 1.1B

Peru: USD 1.0B

Spain: USD 440M

Chile: USD 346M

Colombia: USD 249M


Avocado Import Market Size (2020)

Netherlands: USD 141M

Germany: USD 28M

Spain: USD 24M

UK: USD 23M

Norway: USD 8M

US: USD 7M


Colombia
Fresh Avocado

What Are the Emerging Export Markets for Colombian Avocados?

Netherlands (+162.3% YoY): Colombian Avocados are growing in demand all over the world and the trend is very clear. A remarkable increase in imports has been spotted in the Netherlands, which has already been a top importer of Colombia avocados, with imports surging by +162% in 2020.

US (+94% YoY): Hass avocados were granted admission in 2017, and US import protocols were extremely strict before 2020. However, in 2020, USDA approved the application for the Colombian Avocado Board (CAB) to operate under the Hass Avocado Promotion, Research and Information Order (HAPRIO). With this, CAB would receive 85% of the levies charged on Colombian Avocados for promotions and other purposes. Colombia has been placing large efforts into promotions to target the US market. With this, export volumes to the US have started to rise aggressively.

Germany (9,385% YoY): In 2020, the overall demand for avocados in Germany rose by 7%. During the same period, Germany's import of Colombian Avocados surged by 145% YoY. More European buyers have been showing a greater preference for Colombian Avocados given its year-round seasonality.

Colombia
Fresh Avocado

Production Value Chain

How Is the Supply Chain Structured?

  • The supply chain of Colombian avocado starts from growers, which then goes to packers and finally to the exporter. 
  • There are two types of producers and buyers:
  1. Producers
    Type 1: National Market Type 2: International Market
  2. Buyers
    Type 1: National Market / Type 2: International Market
    (Usually in the form of a packing warehouse)
  • Most of the time, exporters have contracts with smaller growers. They then pay a separate packing facility a certain fee to pack their products. For this reason, many exporters share packing facilities. The larger, top 3-5 Hass avocado exporters have their own packing facilities and farms.
  • Buyers place orders in advance, by making pre-purchases.
  • In 2020, the Top 5 largest Colombian Avocado exporters occupied 61% of total export shares. 32% of the remaining shares included the shares of 20 smaller companies. The top 5 largest Colombian Avocado exporters and the 20 smaller companies altogether constituted 93% of total exports.
  • Large companies dominate the market. Aside from the top 5, there exist multiple small exporters who only have around 1% of the market share. 
  • In the Colombian Avocado Value Chain, agents or brokers don’t play a big role because existing exporters are already well-connected with suppliers.

There are no middlemen since the objective of the exportation companies is to sell directly to final buyers.

In order to secure supplies, one must put in orders at least 2 months in advance to get hold of a substantial amount of volume because it requires time for suppliers to check harvest outcomes and packing house capacities. If seeking to spot-buy, one must look for empty spaces to schedule and secure supplies.


Colombia
Fresh Avocado
By clicking “Accept Cookies,” I agree to provide cookies for statistical and personalized preference purposes. To learn more about our cookies, please read our Privacy Policy.