News

India reduced vegetable oil imports in November-January 2023/24

Refined Soybean Oil
Published Feb 15, 2024

Tridge summary

The Solvent Extractors’ Association of India reports a 23% decrease in India's vegetable oil imports, down to 3.67 million tons between November 2023 and January 2024. Palm oil, primarily sourced from Indonesia and Malaysia, made up 70% of these imports. The remaining 30% consisted of sunflower oil and soybean oil, imported from key suppliers such as Romania, Russia, Brazil, and Argentina.
Disclaimer: The above summary was generated by a state-of-the-art LLM model and is intended for informational purposes only. It is recommended that readers refer to the original article for more context.

Original content

India imported about 3.67 million tons of vegetable oils in the period from November 2023 to January 2024, analysts of the national association SEA (Solvent Extractors’ Association of India) reported. According to their estimates, supplies to the country for the year fell by 23% – from 4.77 million tons. About 70% of the structure of purchases was palm oil – 2.55 million tons (3.084 million tons in November 2022-January 2023). Another 30% of the volume was formed by liquid oils: sunflower oil – 609.64 thousand tons (813.2 thousand tons) and soybean oil – 491.4 thousand tons (848.52 thousand tons). As experts note, palm oil in the reporting period was mainly purchased from Indonesia and Malaysia – 1.575 million tons and 815.5 thousand tons, respectively. Small batches (almost 111.5 thousand tons) were imported from Thailand. The key suppliers of soybean oil were Brazil and Argentina – 214.4 thousand tons and 191.96 thousand tons respectively. At the same time, Russia also purchased ...
By clicking “Accept Cookies,” I agree to provide cookies for statistical and personalized preference purposes. To learn more about our cookies, please read our Privacy Policy.