Kenya: Legislators accuse maize millers of breaching subsidy deadline deal

게시됨 2023년 3월 15일

Tridge 요약

The Kenya Parliament's House Committee on Agriculture has accused millers of supplying maize flour beyond the end of their contracts, exacerbating a dispute over a debt of Sh2.9 billion owed to the millers by the government. The committee's chairperson, John Mutunga, suggested that millers may have continued supplying subsidy flour for up to six days after the program's end, despite the government's denial of such extensions and millers' claims of not receiving revocation notices. This situation arose from a subsidy program initiated by former President Uhuru Kenyatta in 2022, intended to address escalating maize prices, but which has led to significant financial challenges for the millers due to the government's delayed payments and interest accrual. The millers' financial strain is further worsened by the high cost of maize and diminishing demand for flour, compounded by the committee's decision to withhold payment to millers, a move the millers argue is unfair in light of their continued supply and the government's failure to provide proper notification of program changes.
면책 조항: 위의 요약은 정보 제공 목적으로 Tridge 자체 학습 AI 모델에 의해 생성되었습니다.

원본 콘텐츠

Parliament has blamed millers for supplying maize flour past the contract period, further complicating the Sh2.9 billion that the processors say they are owed by the government. The House Committee on Agriculture said millers might have extended the supply of subsidy flour up to six days, way after the contract between them and the State had been revoked. However, millers said they were not served with a revocation letter and they only learned of it in social media. “Why did you continue supplying the flour when the Ministry of Agriculture had stopped the programme,” asked the committee’s chairperson John Mutunga. Read: State yet to pay millers Sh4bn in maize plan In response, millers said the letter was not addressed to them but meant for Agriculture PS from the Cabinet secretary. “The letter ending the subsidy was not addressed to us,” millers told the House Committee on Tuesday. The subsidy programme, which was announced by former President Uhuru Kenyatta on July 20, 2022, was ...

더 깊이 있는 인사이트가 필요하신가요?

귀사의 비즈니스에 맞춤화된 상세한 시장 분석 정보를 받아보세요.
'쿠키 허용'을 클릭하면 통계 및 개인 선호도 산출을 위한 쿠키 제공에 동의하게 됩니다. 개인정보 보호정책에서 쿠키에 대한 자세한 내용을 확인할 수 있습니다.