On-the-Ground Update

Vietnamese Durian Exports Reached Nearly USD 2.1 Billion in 2023 Due to High Demand from China

Fresh Durian
China
Market & Price Trends
Malaysia
Philippines
Logan Pham
Published Dec 6, 2023
Vietnam achieved a record-breaking export value of nearly USD 2.1 billion over ten months, driven by increased purchases by China, as reported by the Vietnam Fruit and Vegetable Association. Notably, durian has emerged as the leading fruit in export turnover this year, constituting 51% of Vietnamese fruits and vegetables. Fresh durian accounts for 94% of the total export turnover, reaching eight countries globally, while the remaining 6% comprises frozen and dried goods.

China stands out as the primary consumer of Vietnamese durian, holding a dominant market share of 97%, equivalent to nearly USD 1.9 billion. Apart from the Chinese market, durian exports to the Czech market experienced a remarkable surge, reaching almost USD 10 million, marking a 28-fold year-over-year (YoY) increase.

The General Secretary of the Vietnam Fruit and Vegetable Association emphasized that with the unprecedented growth in turnover, Vietnam is closely tracking Thailand and has surpassed Malaysia and the Philippines in the Chinese market. Furthermore, Vietnamese off-season durian maintains a competitive edge over Thai products in the concluding months of 2023, given the adverse weather conditions affecting the latter.
By clicking “Accept Cookies,” I agree to provide cookies for statistical and personalized preference purposes. To learn more about our cookies, please read our Privacy Policy.